1985 Kopke

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1985 Kopke VP

Post by benread »

This bottle was acquired at Glasgow airport a month or so ago with the intention of providing a comparison to the 1983 Kopke Quinta St. Luiz. Firstly, it is a much darker red colour - almost ruby red. There is quite a lot of alcohol on the nose but it is much less evident to taste. It is a very sweet VP that appears to drink quite well with a medium decanting time. This was decanted around 2pm and consumed from 8pm onwards.

By comparison to the 1983, it is darker, but with a finer sediment and much less fire on the nose and to taste. A better port and may yet improve a little more. My only concern was that again the cork seemed very poor and I wonder if they bought cheap corks? At least the 1985 looked like it had been stored better!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1985 Kopke VP

Post by Glenn E. »

Ben,

Thanks for the TN! A bottle of this was my most recent addition to my slowly growing 1985 horizontal. It sounds like I will enjoy it!
Glenn Elliott
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Glenn,

Hope you enjoy it. It is certainly something I would drink again without hesitation. In "Uncle Tom" terms probably something I would describe as about average for the vintage if I had enough experience to do so! I am sure others will express a view in due course!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB bought a K85 at LHR for TPF’s first NYC tasting. And no, we’re not going to Tampa.