NV Taylor Ruby (Select Reserve)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

NV Taylor Ruby (Select Reserve)

Post by benread »

NV Taylor's Select Reserve Port
Acquired for £2.19 in Asda in a 20cl bottle - I wanted to taste a reserve port. Screw top and no decanting necessary.

Just about transparent with a very dark ruby red colour. Very spicy nose, blackcurrants the only detectable taste. Very tannic.

Perfectly acceptable - the kind of thing I might expect to find in a bar or pub!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Taylor's Select Reserve Port

Post by JacobH »

benread wrote:Acquired for £2.19 in Asda in a 20cl bottle - I wanted to taste a reserve port. Screw top and no decanting necessary.

Just about transparent with a very dark ruby red colour. Very spicy nose, blackcurrants the only detectable taste. Very tannic.

Perfect;y acceptable - the kind of thing I might expect to find in a bar or pub!
I was given a bottle of this last year (Christmas, I think) and was pleasantly surprised by it (my original intention was to mull it or make hippocras). It’s certainly above par compared to many Ruby Reserve ports, though. For a more informative experience, you really want to try it the Armilar, at just £4.50 at your local Lidl!