1960 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1960 Croft vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

From a half bottle. Slightly hazy, mature red appearance. Fantastic nose of fresh roasted coffee beans. Subdued entry, but a ovely elegance in the mouth with lots of development and complexity. A burn showed on swallowing before a long and extremely enjoyable aftertaste. 90/100. There was some debate as to whether this was a Croft as the branding on the cork had been difficult to read and some people suggested that the flavour and quality profile was more like Taylor than Croft.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1960 Croft vintage port

Post by DRT »

This was one of my contributions to the offline and after the bad showing of the Sandeman Clipper and Martinez 1967 I was very please that this showed well.

My note says: Very dark. Nice drinky stuff with a little heat on the end. I recall saying that I thought this was Fonseca 1960 rather than Croft (or Taylor). There were traces of partial letters on the cork that could have been from either CROFT or FONSECA. From the showing of the wine I believe this to be Fonseca.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1960 Croft vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

I'm sure the cork said Croft, but I have no clear recollection of what it tasted like.. :roll:

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill