1987 Croft Roeda

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1987 Quinta da Roeda vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Used to wash down the fillet steak - a job which it did admirably. Mature red in colour, deep but with a transparent centre. Redcurrants lift out of the glass. Wonderfully mature secondary fruit in the moyth, sweet redcurrant mixed flavoured with All Spice. The more air mixed in with the wine, the more flavours and complexity appear. A wonderful burst of flavours on swallowing, a burst of fruit which fades away slowly. Very enjoyable wine. I have yet to find a 1987 port which is not enjoyable. 92/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1987 Quinta da Roeda vintage port

Post by DRT »

An excellent quaffer which went very well with medium rare fillet steak.

I would buy this for immediate drinking and it may even be worth having a few in the cellar for the medium term.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

An odd bottle, part of an auction job lot. Rarely, if ever, has so much gloopy sediment emerged from a bottle when decanting. As a drinker it does nothing to spoil the reputation of the '87's - I shall be looking to secure some more.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

On the palate, this reminded me a lot of the other two Roedas I have had recently: the 1997 and 1995, although it no longer has the huge fruit on the nose. It reinforces my lack of conviction (if I can say that without overly abusing the English language!) about Roeda but I accept that I am in a minority for this!