1963 Offley

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

1963 Offley

Post by John Danza »

I opened a bottle of this wine yesterday, in preparation for a dinner at a friend's house. I double decanted it (poured into decanter, cleaned out bottle, returned it to the bottle for transportation) about 6 hours before it was served. The fill had been base neck.

The wine, in a word, was tremendous. It's fully mature, but showing no signs of breaking down. The color was more brown then red, actually more like a tawny. It started a little hot, but smoothened out in the glass pretty quickly. It was medium sweet, with flavors of chocolate and raspberries. This wine will hold together at least another 5 years, if not more, IMHO. It won't be improving however, so drinking now will be fine.

Have a Merry Christmas!

John Danza
John Danza
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1963 Offley Boa Vista vintage port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Nice one. I remember having this once and also being pleasantly surprised by it. A very nice port and definitely worth seeking out if the price is right.