2003 Graham LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2003 Graham LBV

Post by JacobH »

This is available everywhere in the UK, frequently for not very much money. The 2000 and 2001 versions of this were all rated pretty highly (prompting much ‟why do they filter it?” discussions). I’m less convinced by this younger offering. It doesn’t have the same complexity or chocolaty undertones of 2001 and seems to be headed more in the Ruby Reserve direction than the VP. Perhaps the LBV suffered in terms of the better grapes being directed towards the VP? I think I am unlikely to pick up any more of this unless it becomes exceptionally cheap.

-Jacob
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Re: 2003 Graham LBV

Post by morteno »

I think this is the most boring LBV I've ever had. Too sweet, bland blend of fruit taste, too pleasing (but doesn't succeed), no structure etc. And it's not even among the cheaper ones. If I had more in my 'cellar' I would use it to make glögg. I bet the 6 grapes, which I haven't tried yet, is better. And they cost the same.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

If the rumors - which I have only heard, never read - are to be believed, Graham's Six Grapes contains their second best grapes after their VP. So it wouldn't surprise me a bit if their LBV weren't stellar in comparison.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:If the rumors - which I have only heard, never read - are to be believed, Graham's Six Grapes contains their second best grapes after their VP. So it wouldn't surprise me a bit if their LBV weren't stellar in comparison.
I was told this by a tour guide on a private tour of the Graham's lodge in VNG.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Yes, but using only six grapes to make an entire bottle - it's not going to be very strong is it? :?
Port is basically a red drink
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

They're very big grapes.
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote:They're very big grapes.
http://flickr.com/photos/lorismaria/5723493/
http://flickr.com/photos/lorismaria/5723493/
5723493_87b3508038.jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've never been wowed by the Graham's LBV. I never understood its place between Six Grapes (decent ruby reserve) and Crusted (good glass of port and could easily replace the LBV).
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

RonnieRoots wrote:I've never been wowed by the Graham's LBV. I never understood its place between Six Grapes (decent ruby reserve) and Crusted (good glass of port and could easily replace the LBV).
I can second Morton and Ronald. Graham's LBV is not one I would look for again. I found it to be boring too. On the other side I found the Crusted Port well worth to seek out and I also would say, it would be worth to cellar some years. More like a VP than many others LBVs. I do like the "Six Grapes", but here in D for 20-25 EUR not very appealing. In NL for 15 EUR surely worth a try.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Michael M. wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:I've never been wowed by the Graham's LBV. I never understood its place between Six Grapes (decent ruby reserve) and Crusted (good glass of port and could easily replace the LBV).
I can second Morton and Ronald. Graham's LBV is not one I would look for again. I found it to be boring too. On the other side I found the Crusted Port well worth to seek out and I also would say, it would be worth to cellar some years. More like a VP than many others LBVs. I do like the "Six Grapes", but here in D for 20-25 EUR not very appealing. In NL for 15 EUR surely worth a try.
Hmm!I’m not sure I would write off all of their LBVs. I thought the 2001 was pretty solid in June and Alex has confessed to mistaking the 2000 as a VP. I’ll certainly try the 2004 when it’s released.

Incidentally, if those are the prices you are paying for Port, you should start importing from the UK, especially with the GBP/EUR rate being what it is!
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

This thread made me check the bottles at Morrison's to see what the vintage was. It was 2003 so I left it. I wouldn't have even bothered normally and I probably wouldn't have bought even if it was 2000 but now you've got me OCDing like the rest of you. Thanks.
Port is basically a red drink