1985 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1985 Quinta do Noval

Post by jdaw1 »

Am ‘emergency’ tasting, chez jdaw1, starting at 4:30pm Saturday 3rd January 2009. Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1985 Noval

Post by jdaw1 »

1985 Noval: a bright translucent red. The nose was very lively the wakey-wakey feeling had me looking for, but failing to find, mint. To taste hot, actually very hot, a hint of vegetable, and perfectly pleasant. Simple perhaps. Light pleasant basic good port. Later I detected melon and strawberry.

AJRH suggested that it was ‟like port and vodka”. And ‟if you’d put it in a round decanter, it wouldn’t taste like this. The square decanter has put hairs on its chest.” If others have also found feminine port to be masculinified by usage of a heavy square square-shouldered decanter, please share.
EricD
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by EricD »

1985 Noval: The color here was fairly light, ruddy but slightly tawny. The nose was rather sweet, but it also had an interesting medicinal character that made me think of Bactine antiseptic spray. Also some light fruit and wood notes as well. I found the flavor to be quite sweet with lively fruit - cherry and apple. It may be at it's peak now.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Noval 1985, the following day, with Eric D, who reported a nose of ‟stale fried chicken”. To taste more sweetness and less brightness than the previous day. More acidic. Too long in the decanter.