The TPF Third Christmas Offline

What happened?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

The TPF Third Christmas Offline

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Yesterday saw the last TPF Offline of the year - and what a way to see out the old year! 9 Port lovers gathered around a table at the Bell in Wenden's Ambo and enjoyed a feast of fine fillet steak (including one vegetarian fillet steak) and a wonderful cheese plate.

But the main reason for the Offline were the ports. As has become traditional, the theme for the offline was "The Unknown Shipper and His Peculiar Friends" - an excuse to open one or two of the odd bottles lying around in the cellar whose labels have fallen off. This year, the line up was superb, and was:
And added in to the mix were two bottles of table wine - a 1995 Cabernet Sauvignon from Great Wall Wines, China and an ullaged 1966 Chateau Margaux. Sadly, the Margaux was undrinkable.

Many thanks to Tom for organising the offline and to all our absent friends - all of whom are invited to the next Christmas Offline.

Merry Christmas to all.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: The TPF Third Christmas Offline

Post by DRT »

A great evening with some excellent old wines, some of them showing much younger than one might expect. As always, The Bell proved to be an excellent venue and the no nonsense steak dinner was just what was required.

One correction to AHB's post above, as TPF was created in June 2007 it is not possible that this could be the Third TPF Christmas Off-line, although I concede that it is the Third Christmas Off-line to be held at The Bell :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The really striking thing about this lineup was that despite having three centenarians, and two more that were over sixty years old, none could seriously be described as being 'over the hill'

Only the Dow '55 fell short of expectations, but as there was only half a glassful left in the decanter, it clearly didn't fall that far short..!

Now polishing off the '33 - still gorgeous...!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Another great evening. Many thanks to Tom for arranging it and to Alex for sorting me out with a bottle to adopt (although anyone who manages to ‟loose” a bottle in his cellar obviously has too much Port! :) ).

The 1900 ‟believed Warre” a revelation: that a wine could remain that dark and alive after 106 years in a bottle is a great testament to Port’s resilience, though the wine of the night, for me, was the 1908, followed closely by the 1947 Smith Woodhouse.

Many thanks again; what a way to bring 2008 to a close!
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote: And added in to the mix were two bottles of table wine - a 1995 Cabernet Sauvignon from Great Wall Wines, China

Alex
i would lOve to see a TN on the great wall wine.

Was definitely one that has piqued my interests in terms of curiosity.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Unfortunately, I somehow managed to be missed out when this bottle was going round the table so I can't provide a tasting note.

KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

A very good, fun night with excellent Ports and immaculate company. Add my thanks to Tom for organising it and allowing me to snore somewhere between some spare racking.

The GWC Cab was perfectly drinkable but a little unbalanced - fruity but too much acid. Needs a little more subtlety. The Margaux bottle just needed better wine in it - completely gone.
Port is basically a red drink
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Sounds like very good fun to me. Maybe next year again ???

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Axel P wrote:Sounds like very good fun to me. Maybe next year again ???

Axel
Almost certainly!

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Does anyone remember which bottle, when opened, had a cork that fell apart and was given to me to rebuild and confirm the identity of the port in question? I think it was one which Derek brought and opened.

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Does anyone remember which bottle, when opened, had a cork that fell apart and was given to me to rebuild and confirm the identity of the port in question? I think it was one which Derek brought and opened.
I think it was this one.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn