2000 Ramos Pinto

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

2000 Ramos-Pinto

Post by jdaw1 »

2000 Ramos-Pinto: as part of the secret-squirrel project known only as ‟Drink Up JDAW’s USA-Located Port”, this youngster was broached. Decanted at 1pm, when samples were mailed to Brooklyn and New Jersey hopefully notes on them will appear later.

Very dark opaque near-black, fading (if that is the right word) to purple at the edge. A wee juvenile. Nosing of sweet black fruit; no heat at all; blackcurrants maybe. Not a complicated nose at all. But rather closed consistent with this RP00 being in a ‘dumb’ period. To taste the mouth is filled with young port: sweetness aplenty, a tiny tickle of heat on the tongue; very long and the length is sweet. Not gigantic port, but more than mid-size. I reckon a decade will make this quite splendid. Note to self: acquire if cheap.
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Re: 2000 Ramos-Pinto

Post by jfacciol »

First, thank you Julian for the tasting sample that arrived on Saturday. I drank it that evening before dinner.

It was dark purple. The nose was rich with black pepper and dark brown (burned?) sugar notes. The aftertaste also had the dark brown (burned?) sugar notes. There was a bit of an unpleasant metallic aftertaste and some tannins. There was a noticeable lack of fruit and sweetness to the aftertaste. The finish was very short. This was a decent port.

Looking again at Julian's review, I wonder if we were drinking the same port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2000 Ramos-Pinto

Post by jdaw1 »

Short decanting seems to be advised.