Friday 13th February: Graham vertical in New York

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: Friday 13th February: Graham vertical in New York

Post by SushiNorth »

Oops! screwed up. I counted the 66 as 180 (the old price) not 150. Let's assume it's 180 for now after shipping/etc, and we can adjust a few $$s day-of to accomodate.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote:the bbq tho, sounds like a great idea and may require aday in advance to do a proper kansas city style ribs (at least if I was preparing it)
Or you could do it the easy way and order from http://www.jackstackbbq.com. My folks were born and raised in the Kansas City area, and we still go out for BBQ every time I get back to visit. There are many good BBQ joints in KC, but my favorite is still Fiorella's Jack Stack. I have hosted BBQ parties at my house by ordering from them, and it's almost as good as the restaurant. They ship it quick frozen in large styrofoam containers with dry ice, and you can warm it in the oven or on the grill (or if your party is large enough, use both :lol:).

I recommend the unsauced ribs... that way you can add your own sauce as you see fit!
Glenn Elliott
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

I just ordered the 1966.

Total, with overnight shipping, is $191.86.

Heating food up would work if there was a massive kitchen (and kitchen help), but as I have neither (life is hard :cry: ), the food needs to arrive ready to eat.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

okay we'll play the food by ear then Jay.

See you guys in 2 weeks!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

FOOD--Jeff, what about picking up a mix of cold cuts, cheese and bread? I would do it but I will be tied up on both Thursday and Friday. If you can come out a bit early, you could pick it all up at Fairway.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

jfacciol wrote:FOOD--Jeff, what about picking up a mix of cold cuts, cheese and bread? I would do it but I will be tied up on both Thursday and Friday. If you can come out a bit early, you could pick it all up at Fairway.
I can't, I'm working that day, if we pre ordered I would have been able to just swing in pick it up and take it with me.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

What the story with glasses and decanters for this event?
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

Julian and I will supply the glasses (a reminder, Julian, to bring one box).

There won't be any decanters. We will be redecanting into the original, clean bottles.

It sounds as if we are ordering in either pizza or Lebanese food.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jfacciol wrote:There won't be any decanters. We will be redecanting into the original, clean bottles.
It sounds as if we are ordering in either pizza or Lebanese food.
Yes -- we'll all be double-decanting back to the bottles. That makes it easier to keep track of which is which, as well as ensuring the pictures look swell :)

Food: I agree, i think we are leaning that way. Besides, I'm all for something a little warm. (as a tip for folks who haven't joined us before, i personally like to have some starch -- a plain bagel or white rice or the like -- before showing up).
JoshDrinksPort
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

Lebanese food is one of my favorites and NYC pizza is not far behind... What are we doing for dry wines?
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Post by JohninNYC »

Hello.

I am all set for Fri 2/13 and can attend. Jay, I believe you set a $ amount for me to bring to chip in. Just let me know please.
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

We haven't had any dry wines at tastings before, although we could always start a new tradition. The only time that I remember one was a Bordeaux that was seriously off. Anyone is welcome to bring a dry wine but I, at least, won't be drinking any. A bottle (or even one half a bottle) of port is enough for me.

As to food, why don't I just make an order of Lebanese food that would feed ten? That way, I can place the order early and can arrange to have it delivered at approximately 9 pm. Zaytoons, where I would order, makes its own fresh pita, which comes hot out of its oven and I find delicious. The cost should be $15 to 20 per person. Let me know if you have any objections.

We are up to nine and have room for one more, if there is someone lurking out there.

Josh, could you recalculate what everyone would owe?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jfacciol wrote:Josh, could you recalculate what everyone would owe?
Updated. Before food:
JoshDrinksPort
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Can I bring home the partial bottle I deemed the best at the end of the night? =)

since I can't drink that much due to early morning classes saturday would hate not being able to fully appreciate the port in a hurried manner =)
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:Can I bring home the partial bottle I deemed the best at the end of the night? =)
since I can't drink that much due to early morning classes saturday would hate not being able to fully appreciate the port in a hurried manner =)
I am hopeful that we will each be able to bring home some partials, as I far prefer next-day-port to next-day-hangover and we will surely have more port that people can drink.
JoshDrinksPort
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Post by JohninNYC »

Oh I definitely can help! :lol:

I also have reason to celebrate. I passed those 2 wine exams I took early November (one on sparkling wine, the other on fortified wine).
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Food: Lebanese works for me. Or a shopping list can be constructed and I will buy it that day.

There will be no partial bottles to take home. All will be drunk.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Well, not all will be drunk. Some of us must remain sufficiently sober to operate on saturday.

Meanwhile, given that the price is in a reasonable area for everyone (150, as opposed to our first guess of 165), what if we sent a complimentary invite to a guest expert for seat 10? In particular, I was thinking Eric Asimov from the NYT, who seems to make a point of never reporting on Port.
Thoughts?
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I have neither objection to nor massive enthusiasm for a NYT wine writer. I would be willing to fund my share.
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Post by JohninNYC »

If the NYT writers are not available. do you know LIsa Granik? She is an MW and lives in Park Slope. She is also the most highly requested lecturer where I study wine. She is a very smart no nonsense lady.
John in NYC

SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Well, I was thinking about this more as giving a non-fortified taster a unique experience in exchange for high-level publicity in the NY metro area. For that to work, we need a highly visible columnist from a NY paper or magazine who might actually appreciate the lineup of drinkable Grahams from the past half-century.
JoshDrinksPort
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

It's not like there's that much excess port, so I would be hesitant on just inviting anybody free to fill a slot. All the port will be gone with just amount of people we have as is.

Eric Asimov's attendence would be interesting, but what value do we get out of it?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

mosesbotbol wrote:Eric Asimov's attendence would be interesting, but what value do we get out of it?
Well, my hope is that we get a writeup in his blog, along with a link, thereby expanding membership. Given that this is a Graham's-only tasting, they'll probably be appreciative too. Finally, and of most immediate value, we get a perspective beyond our own echo-chamber on the different ports :)
However, I agree with you that we are not in some dire need of having an extra drinker, rather this seemed an opportunity for some fresh input and external exposure.
JoshDrinksPort
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

SushiNorth wrote:
mosesbotbol wrote:Eric Asimov's attendence would be interesting, but what value do we get out of it?
Well, my hope is that we get a writeup in his blog, along with a link, thereby expanding membership. Given that this is a Graham's-only tasting, they'll probably be appreciative too. Finally, and of most immediate value, we get a perspective beyond our own echo-chamber on the different ports :)
However, I agree with you that we are not in some dire need of having an extra drinker, rather this seemed an opportunity for some fresh input and external exposure.
I understand, if you can get some austere/important that will write up on this, why not I guess? NYT article would be pretty cool and could give port the shot in the arm it could always use. I am not so concerned on his opinions on each one, as I trust our community more and I think his ratings will be inline with ours.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Can probably ask Suckling in which case too.