2003 Taylor LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2003 Taylor LBV

Post by JacobH »

This bottle was a Christmas present and a Taylor’s LBV vintage which I’ve not had before. As has been noted a few times, Taylor’s LBVs can be quite a disappointment, even when compared to other filtered LBVs (e.g. Graham’s). I think it’s probably their weakest style a real shame as it seems to be regarded as central to their brand.

Anyway, the 2003. On the nose it is very attractive. Light (perhaps slightly floral), with a little red fruit. In the mouth it is initially quite pleasant, too. What struck me first was how thin it felt. Perhaps it’s just because I tend to under”“filter my VPs when decanting, but it doesn’t feel as thick as most Port. On the palate, again it is quite light, perhaps even a touch of mint (or is that just wishful thinking?) and quite attractive. It feels much more together than previous vintages.

Unfortunately, what lets it down is the back of the mouth where there is a little tannin followed by a unpleasant, bitter after”“taste which grabs the back of my throat. I wonder how the blenders at Taylor’s drink their Ports? This is one to sip rather than linger in the mouth!

-Jacob
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2003 Taylor LBV

Post by JacobH »

Should have mentioned: this is now at 48 hours but is pretty much unchanged from the previous two evenings (0 and 24).