1997 Ramos Pinto

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1997 Ramos Pinto

Post by jdaw1 »

1997 Ramos Pinto: the label curiously devoid of hyphens. It took three attempts with the garrote to open it, but at 2pm we were underway. The decanter-priming sample opaque red-red-back, and nosing of lots of stewed fruit Vesuvio prunes. To taste big: astringency, prune fruit, then heat throughout the long ending. Large.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1997 Ramos Pinto

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:the label curiously devoid of hyphens
:?:

I've yet to see a bottle of Ramos Pinto that uses a hyphen in the name. Or are you referring to something else?
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:the label curiously devoid of hyphens
:?:

I've yet to see a bottle of Ramos Pinto that uses a hyphen in the name. Or are you referring to something else?
http://www.ramospinto.pt is also devoid of hyphens but this label is not...

I have many more examples of the name being hyphenated on labels and in books. There seems to be only one course of action to take, so I will take it.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

With apologies for interrupting this fascinating conversation amongst our resident punctuation pedants, but it is time to go back to the juice. :QuotePedant: Still very big; very fruit forward blackcurrants especially; and large though not as large as earlier promised. Reasonable acidity, but a little light on tannins. Drink in half a decade or so.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

It sounds pretty good to me since I like light tannins, and gives me hope that my hyphenless 1994 will also be good.

I have several (-1) bottles of Ramos Pinto Quinta do Bom Retiro 20-yr Old Tawny from at least 3 different shipments that are all hyphenless as well. As is the Ramos Pinto branded IVdP Port glass that was filled from the recently opened bottle.
Glenn Elliott