1960 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1960 Sandeman

Post by uncle tom »

The weakling of a small stash recently acquired, the bottle had a TS level and slight signs of seepage.

Wanting to know how old weak corks fare when transported in the hold of an aircraft, with it's much reduced air pressure; I decided to take it with me on my winter trip to the far east.

As a precaution, I shrouded the bottle in a plastic bag!

It survived the trip entirely unscathed (even though my suitcase didn't..), and was duly put in the fridge in my room.

There it did not fare so well, and I realised that my room key not only enabled/disabled the lights and aircon, but the fridge also. The temperature here in Thailand sometimes gets close to 40C, and when I checked the fridge a week or so later, I found significant seepage.

I therefore transferred the bottle to the fridge of my favourite bar.

Decanted on Valentine's day before a curious little audience of several nationalities, most of whom had never seen a wax capsule before. I was very pleased to extract the cork perfectly intact.

Decanted first into a jug, and then back into the bottle, sealing the top with a whisky cap before putting it back into the fridge. After sipping the dregs, and inviting my audience to do the same, I poured the rest in the traditional semi circular libation on the road outside.

Drunk some eight hours later after dinner in a nearby restaurant with the husband of the bar owner (who is also a '60 vintage), his Thai wife (who likes the wine when 'tis red) and the Finnish owner of the restaurant.

A lovely wine, classic Sandeman signature, with only the slightest hint of being a little past it's best. Very well received.

We then went back to the bar and got drunk. As one does..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1960 Sandeman

Post by Axel P »

Tom, since the ambient pressure in the cabin is a little more than half the atmospheric pressure at sea level, even a ruptured cork should hold if the bottle is upright. If the bottle is transported whilst laying down, it is a different story.

Thanks for the TN, since a good friend of mine is born in 1960 and is looking for a decent VP of his year of birth. Any suggestions?

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1960 Sandeman

Post by uncle tom »

Tom, since the ambient pressure in the cabin is a little more than half the atmospheric pressure at sea level, even a ruptured cork should hold if the bottle is upright. If the bottle is transported whilst laying down, it is a different story.

Thanks for the TN, since a good friend of mine is born in 1960 and is looking for a decent VP of his year of birth. Any suggestions?
Axel,

The bottle had to travel in the hold, thanks to the fluid restrictions - any idea whether the B747 hold is pressurised at all?

It is also possible that by chance the bottle found itself upright by virtue of the position of my suitcase in the hold, in which event seepage would not have occurred - must repeat the experiment next year!

After a few poor experiances, I had become resigned to the idea that the '60's were a dying vintage, but recently have had several good to excellent encounters. I can spare a Delaforce (with a good label) at reasonable cost, if you want a bottle.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill