2003 Andresen LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2003 Andresen LBV (unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

Andresen is a new one for me. For a young Port, a satisfying amount of thick sediment was produced on pouring.

0+ The nose is very mute. Perhaps some raisins, but I’m using some vintage glasses which don’t really concentrate the aromas. It’s a bit of a mess in the mouth. Quite dry, with a lot of alcohol which cases a burning, caramel sensation in the back of the throat. Feels very assertive but without a great deal of strength.

I think it needs some decanting time to sort itself out. It will be interesting to see what happens!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2003 Andresen Unfiltered LBV

Post by JacobH »

90+ minutes even a hour has gone a long way to improving this. The different aspects beginning to nicely integrate. Initially, it is now fairly soft, with perhaps a little summer fruits and then a long, easy mineral sensation. The alcohol is still strongly present and can still be quite overbearing if you give it room to expand inside your mouth. Hopefully, it will continue to improve over the next few hours. On current form, a perfectly acceptable bottle to drink now. Perhaps not one which will improve greatly over time.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2003 Andresen Unfiltered LBV

Post by JacobH »

+24 hours. I didn’t get a chance to try this at lunch, which is when I think it might have been at its prime. I also seem to have developed a cold, so my ability to smell anything has greatly diminished and my ability to taste, likewise. The bits that I can sense are better integration and a smoothness but still with a bit too much alcohol on the back of the throat. No really guesses as to how the fruits have developed, though... :roll:

I put the second half of this bottle in a half-bottle in the fridge so hopefully, once my head clears up, I’ll be able to have another go :)