NV Graham Tawny 20YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Graham Tawny 20YO

Post by g-man »

place holder for tasting notes from Friday, February 27, 2009 - NYC tasting
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: NV Grahams 20 year tawny Port (Bottled in 200X)

Post by Glenn E. »

Graham's 20-yr Old Tawny Port

Finally, a more classic Tawny color in the glass. It's clear and bright, as it should be.

Non-descript nose showing slightly too much alcohol. Red fruit medly.

Best body in the mouth by far - almost syrupy compared to the previous two 20-yr olds. Some dates, possibly also some light caramel. Very sweet, but still sufficient tannins to keep it in balance.

I noted after the Graham's that all three of the 20-yr Old Tawnies were really lacking that typical Tawny tartness. None seemed to be particularly well balanced in this regard, but the Graham's seemed closest during the tasting portion. Best tawny on the night.
Glenn Elliott
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Nice TN Glenn. :)
I usually like this port quite a bit. It's a really nice drinker, but has the complexity to lift it up slightly above just that.
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by morteno »

I second that. A great 20 year old tawny that's very fair in price. Great label design too.

SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

A lovely red color, with a Rasiny, Raspberry, cinammon nose. I agree with those who detect a bready smell, and that the raisins are perhaps more like dates (but very light dates!)
In the mouth, it's fruity up front, with the acidity and back-of-mouth taste of orange juice as i swallow. It has a short tail, and somewhere in there was a salami note.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope