1987 Graham Malvedos

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1987 Graham's Quinta Dos Malvedos

Post by benread »

This wine was decanted at 6pm today and first tried at 9pm. The neck had both an outer and inner foil which was unusual and the cork was in reasonable condition, although it broke coming out. I was able to extract the remaining 1/4 with a corkscrew without much difficulty.

The immediate thing that struck me was the colour of this wine. A really dark red, barely translucent at the edges even. A very fruity nose.

In the mouth the tannins are very noticeable. I cannot recall another port I have tried recently with such a dryness left in the mouth. Cherry flavours are the most prominent.

If I did not know the vintage of this port I would guess it was much younger and the colour would suggest LBV or Ruby.

This is a recent acquisition and one I am very pleased with. It will be making an appearance at a TPF offline next time we have a suitable theme!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1987 Graham's Quinta Dos Malvedos

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I love the '87s for drinking now. Perhaps a 1987 horizontal would make for an interesting theme for one of our informal get-togethers? In April, perhaps?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hmmm. That’s a shame I’d like to partake of a 1987 horizontal.

Carry on.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Hmmm. That’s a shame I’d like to partake of a 1987 horizontal.

Carry on.
What is to stop a 1987 horizontal off-line being arranged for April that is held in two venues almost simultaneously?

It may be a challenge to synchronise the line-ups but surely not beyond our powers of organisation to get people on either side of the atlantic drinking port from the same vintage on the same date?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

AHB wrote:I love the '87s for drinking now. Perhaps a 1987 horizontal would make for an interesting theme for one of our informal get-togethers? In April, perhaps?
I can easily provide the Malvedos and Quinta da Corte - I have multiple bottles of each (for now!)

I like the idea of simultaneous tastings, although time difference may dictate a weekend for this which would complicate matters a little I suspect.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!