1992 Churchill LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1992 Churchill LBV (unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

A recent acquisition in half bottles from Nickolls and Perks which, somewhat unusually for an LBV, was bottled in 1998 after 6 years in wood. I decanted off only a small amount of thickish sediment.

1+ The colour suggests maturity; a lightish red slightly fading towards the edge of the glass.

On the nose there’s a little fire and perhaps a bit of a slightly-odd Meringue-like touch (though I think this might be something that will blow-off). There’s also little crystallized fruit, perhaps with a touch of acid (such as a citrus of pineapple).In the mouth, I am slightly hindered by using rather too much garlic in my dinner, but I can say that it drinks very easily, with a smooth sensation leading to a nice caramel/nutty finish.

I think, at the moment, this is really good stuff but that’s mostly because this cost me the grant total of £3.50 a bottle. I dare say it won’t last much longer (I had an ’86 or ’87 LBV last year which was far gone) but it’s a shame they had so few bottles available as I would have happily picked up a few cases!
Last edited by JacobH on 22:31 Mon 09 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1992 Churchill Unfiltered LBV

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

That is a very good price for the LBV of a producer who has a good reputation for their unfiltered wines. Nice find!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

AHB wrote:That is a very good price for the LBV of a producer who has a good reputation for their unfiltered wines. Nice find!
They’ve got a few Ports on offer at the moment at pretty reasonable prices. I’ll see if I can make a post in the relevant place!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

JacobH wrote:
AHB wrote:That is a very good price for the LBV of a producer who has a good reputation for their unfiltered wines. Nice find!
They’ve got a few Ports on offer at the moment at pretty reasonable prices. I’ll see if I can make a post in the relevant place!
After a few goes, I failed to easily convert their complex HTML table into a format for display; I’ll have to go for a straight-forward link.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

A second go at this at TCP with UncleTom and AHB. This is much as I remember the first bottle: still excellent value as a mature LBV but not likely to last long.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Unfiltered LBV from a half bottle. Mature looking colour, surprisingly faded on the rim for the age. A floral and attractive nose that promises plenty of fruit. Dry and structured in the mouth with tannins showing gently through the damsons and plum fruit. Some good mid-palate development but the wine is astonishingly forward for its age. The burn on swallowing lingers for longer than is desirable and leaves only a short aftertaste. Still very respectable value at £3.50 for a half bottle! 82/100. Drunk 17 March 2009.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.