1977 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1977 Taylor

Post by uncle tom »

Decanted 12/3/09 to celebrate young Max's 4th day.

Despite having been stood up for a couple of months, it was not a very clean decant, forcing me to divert to the dregs glass with a good glassful left in the bottle. Average amount of sludgy sediment.

Unlike the last bottle I opened 18 months ago, this bottle had no bottle stink, and the wine was immediately approachable.

Now 24hrs on, there has been virtually no evolution.

This is a good wine, with Taylor's trademark bite and sober nose; but the meniscus is overly clear for a wine of this age, while the tannins remain very persistant, furring my teeth most noticeably. The fruit seems a little tired.

To score;

For immediate gratification, this is a top quartile wine, but not by a mile, so an 8

Where's it going? Quite a hard call, but I think it has seen it's best days now,

- so score 8-7

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1977 Taylor

Post by jdaw1 »

Very good. And the little fellow is also drinking well, though, at least not yet, T77.

Link to review of other such toastings.
dcs
Cheap Ruby

Post by dcs »

Interesting. I think that most of mine are showingjust a bit younger...showing best the next day. But there is considerable bottle variation... and the leakers don't help. The last one I opened was by far the youngest I have tasted. I selected it out because it had a low fill. I open it - only to realize that he cork is pristine. The low fill was just what it had started with, it wasn't leaking at all. Oh well. At least it was superb!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

As a post-script, the wine showed a noticeable improvement, with better integration, on the third day.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill