1963 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1963 Sandeman VP

Post by JacobH »

Drunk at TCP with AHB and UncleTom on the 16th March 2009. Apparently finished the next day by AHB, Benread and Christopher.

I believe I am right in saying that this was a leaker. In any case, Tom complained that it had a defectively small cork and a large amount of bottle stink on decanting. Thankfully, by the time we tried it, this had mostly blown off and it presented itself very nicely. Although it is now at maturity, there's still a little amount of tannins left and the fruit is extremely attractive. It seemed to improve during the time we were there, and I would be interested to see how it performed on the next day.

I gather that the Sandeman '63 is often a disaster. This bottle certainly wasn't (which is quite reassuring as it's the only '63 I currently have in my cellar!).
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1963 Sandeman VP

Post by uncle tom »

My memory of the evening (which for me started at 3pm after the Bonhams sale) was descending into a blur by the time we tackled this one - hopefully it was still showing well the following day.

It was a leaker, and badly so, with a low shoulder level. It was one of two very badly described bottles in an auction lot, for which I negotiated a substantial refund. (Wolfgang relieved me of the other bottle). The reason for its poor condition was clear when I drew the cork - a short pathetic apology for a closure, wholly inappropriate for long aging.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1963 Sandeman VP

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

From a bottle leaking slightly. Oporto bottled with a surprisingly short cork; a low shoulder fill when opened. Rose red in colour, pale but attractive. A touch of stink left on the nose (this was reported as having been worse when first decanted) and with the spirit showing very strongly over a distinct smell of marshmallow. Sweet rose-hip flavours in the mouth, light and delicate with fruit all over the palate. Just enough acidity to balance the sweetness with a lovely tingle of spice and pepper, but a sense that there should be more complexity. The aftertaste of sweet redcurrants lingers and then fades back to reveal a very long mild chocolate. Pleasant drinking, but not a great bottle. 88/100. Drunk 17-18 March 2009.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.