1978 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1978 Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas

Post by benread »

Drunk as part of the Vargellathon - a tasting of Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas port from 1964 to 1996. Held at The Crusting Pipeon Tuesday 24th March 2009.

Bottle kindly adopted and supplied by Christopher
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1978 Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas

Post by benread »

Decanted at 10.30pm on 23rd March.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Unfortunately, I managed to mislay my notes so this is from memory.

The first of many amicable disagreements was over this bottle, with approximately half the table claiming this was corked. If that were true, I would be happy to have twice as many corked bottles if they were all corked to this extent: I simply couldn't detect anything wrong.

This was a measure darker than its older brethren at the tasting and likewise tasted a bit younger, with some more fruit and heat than was present in the others. It also seemed a bit simpler on the palate. I imagine this will continue to mature to become like one of the '67s (rather than the '64 and '65), though I have no complaints about this, and look forward to drinking the few bottles of this which I own!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

This was one of the two bottles left at the end of the offline so, thanks to Derek lending me a couple of sample jars, I’ve now had a chance to contemplate this in a little more detail.

The nose is more muted than on the other Vargellas; although there’s still quite a bit of spirit, this is slightly less present than on some of the other wines. I suppose this muteness, combined with a little bit of mustiness might suggest it was corked, but it’s so slight as not to be worth worrying about! The toffee of some of the Vargellas is also there, though only slightly, as is a slight grassyness.

On the palate, it is initially quite muted, fading into a little pepper, with an extra sweetness (say of strawberry syrup) which is lacking in the ’67 that I am drinking with it. The fire is still present, although not too intrusive with the port feeling fairly round and with a shortish aftertaste.

I think that although this is now drinking very nicely another decade will take it to full maturity.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I could not detect anything to suggest that this was corked.

Slightly cloudy appearance. Citrus on the nose. Sugary sweet with a lovely weight but a sticky, clawing finish.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deeper red, centre just transparent. TCA tainted nose. Sweet tasting juice, but the fruit flavours are killed off by the TCA. Not rated. Drunk 24th March 2009.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I have had very good results with this wine in the past, and while I don't think it was corked per se, I do think it was not the best of bottles. I found it hot and a bit sweet - something not quite right..

Though still quite respectable, my hunch (prior to decanting the '64..) that this would probably prove to be the wine of the night, did not materialise.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill