1991 Churchill

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1991 Churchill VP

Post by JacobH »

Current TCP house port. Drunk at TCP with UncleTom on the 17th March 2009 whilst waiting for AHB.

It was interesting to compare this to the 1992 Churchill LBV we drank later that evening. The 1992 LBV is now very mature, whilst the 1991 Churchill was still pretty dark and now showing much sign of maturing at any time in the near future. I didn't take a tasting note and can't remember very much about this, beyond it being an entirely sensible VP about which I had no complaints. Probably a good choice for a house VP.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1991 Churchill VP

Post by uncle tom »

I thought it a bit harsh, and slightly vegetal, although that didn't stop me drinking rather a lot of it.. :roll:

I'm not sure if they were pouring this straight from the bottle, or had double decanted - probably the latter.

This has probably still got a touch of the Kevins, and will probably show much better given a few more years. The '92 LBV on the other hand, showed very nicely.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

We had some more of this at dinner at the Vargellas tasting. It was tried initially immediately after decanting; a huge mistake as it was really very unpleasant. After a few minutes in the glass (and thankfully the bottle just about made it around the table a second time), it improved considerably and became far more like I remembered it from a week earlier.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:This has probably still got a touch of the Kevins
Do I want to know?
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Do I want to know?
Kevin, aka Harry Enfield
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep red in colour , holding well into the rim. Very subdued on the nose, little coming through. What shows with a bit of swirling are the blackcurrants. Sweet fruit dominates the initial entry. Very dry blackcurrants in the mid-palate, tannins peeping through the fruit and gently drying the cheeks, but strongly acidic. Very enjoyable complexity. Burns on the initial swallow, which fades quickly to leave a long dark chocolate that lingers around for a while. 91/100. Drunk 24 Mar 2009.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.