1975 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1975 Warre

Post by DRT »

Opened on 28th March 2009.

D+2hrs
Cork removed intact. Very light pinkish red on decanting with a clear rim. Spirity nose. Good weight but very sweet with stewed fruit and anicede. No heat on the palate. Quite a long finish. Very drinkable but nothing special.

D+7hrs
Now has cherry but still some heat on the nose. Very bright red. Good weight on the entry. Slightly bitter mid palate with a long sweet finish. Certainly worth more than £0.

D=24hrs
Same nose as it had at 7 hours. Light, watery entry which then thickens slightly then a very bitter kick and a hot finish. Starting to fall apart badly.

Conclusion:
If you have any of these put them out of their misery sooner rather than later. At between 2 and 7 hours from decanting this was a respectable glass of port - perhaps 4-2 on the Uncle Tom scale. Nothing special, but nothing offensive either. At 24 hours it would be 1-0 at best. Drink up and drink quickly when you do :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1975 Warre

Post by uncle tom »

A very consistant wine for being hot on the palate.

I have just one bottle left, and no plans to chase after any more..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I didn't detect any heat until tonight. The two glasses I had last night had spirit on the nose but not on the palate.

I won't be buying another one either :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek: you were once trying to persuade me that there are good 1975s. Have you yet conceded?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Derek: you were once trying to persuade me that there are good 1975s. Have you yet conceded?
Croft, Fonseca and Graham can all be good. This wasn't.
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Quarles Harris '75 was also a pleasant surprise
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill