NV Fonseca Tawny 10YO (bottled 1979)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

NV Fonseca Tawny 10YO (bottled 1979)

Post by DRT »

A group purchase of 8 bottles between Ben, Jacob and I from Seckford Wines.

D+0
The cork, branded "Fonseca Port" came out intact. Decanted from a significant amount of black crust. Colour is very pale orange brown, really, really old VP. Candy floss nose, very sweet. A nice medium weight. Very sweet but nutty and slightly warming. Mouthwatering long finish. This is obviously well past its best but it isn't dead. Not something to drink all evening but a nice chilled glass before bed will do nicely :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 10 Year Old Fonseca Tawny (bottled 1979)

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Not something to drink all evening
I was wrong :roll: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:Not something to drink all evening
I was wrong :roll: :lol:
LOL, gotta drink it all or it may go bad :wink: BTW, you have a pic you can post. I'm interested in what the older labels on these look like.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Here is a picture of the bottle...
Fonseca 10 yrs.jpg
Fonseca 10 yrs.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
I also have the 20 and 30 yr old tawny from the same era with similar labels.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cool picture on the label..is it the upper Douro or Gaia, I can't quite tell. Thanks for posting it.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy V wrote:Cool picture on the label..is it the upper Douro or Gaia, I can't quite tell. Thanks for posting it.
It's looking down river with Oporto on the right hand side. It looks like it is close to the area where the Porto Cruz restaurant is where we sat and drank a Cruz 20 yr old tawny with Sean, Stewart and others on the day of the Noval Colheitathon in October 2007 :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote:Cool picture on the label..is it the upper Douro or Gaia, I can't quite tell. Thanks for posting it.
It's looking down river with Oporto on the right hand side. It looks like it is close to the area where the Porto Cruz restaurant is where we sat and drank a Cruz 20 yr old tawny with Sean, Stewart and others on the day of the Noval Colheitathon in October 2007 :wink:
Very hazy recollections of that day :nirvana: :wink: :lol:
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
It almost looks like it is looking downriver from Ponte Dom Luis I with the Ribeira district on the right. Those three buildings really look like they could be what is now the Pestana Porto, but the picture is a little hard to see.
Glenn Elliott