2006 Quinta Espirito Santo

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2006 Quinta Espirito Santo

Post by JacobH »

I don’t think this is a DOC wine, but it might as well be one :-). It is produced by Casa Santos Lima which is apparently based at Quinta Da Boavista ‟a short drive north of Lisbon in the Estremadura”. It is made out of Castelão (Periquita) (which I don’t know) and Tinta Roriz (which we all know and love!).

I don’t really know much about table wines, but this gives the immediate impression of being fairly heavy. The Tinta Roriza is most obvious on the nose and on first tasting, where a Port-like flavour comes through. There are then strong elements of liquorish with a certain amount of bitterness. I think they aged this wine a little while in oak barrels, which comes through a bit, though not really enough to impart any vanilla. It’s fairly alcoholic for a non-fortified wine at 15% and I don’t think I’d like to drink much of it (I can sense it giving me a hangover already!).

The only DOC wines I’ve had have been those from Crasto and Niepoort. This reminds me of both, and if that’s your sort of thing, it’s probably quite good value.