1996 Taylor Terra Feita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

1996 Taylors Quinta De Terra Feita VP

Post by Conky »

A friend came round knowing I like Port with a Taylors Quinta De Terra Feita 96. I presume this is a SQ in a NV year, even though it says Vintage Port clearly on the bottle. Needless to say, it couldn't be decanted for a while as he sat there expectantly.
The cork was in excellent, new condition. The colour is deep and purple, and yet the edge was weak and watery. The tears again were weak and fell back quickly.
The taste was encouraging and fruity. It was not full bodied enough, but quite nice. There was a little heat, but not over powering. There was that dryness, that suggests its still too young. (But you cant look a gift horse in the mouth)
I suspect I'm not drinking this under ideal conditions, but its a pleasant companion for the evening.
More later. I always struggle to name the fruits, but Debs suggested 'burnt'.

Alan
Last edited by Conky on 13:10 Mon 30 Jul 2007, edited 2 times in total.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

+ 2 hours.

Still Dry. Heat calmed a little. Still struggling on the smell. I suspect Deborah has been on the funny mushrooms, because she's saying burnt treacle, and also imps (Thats little black sweets of our childhood). My friend suggests its more like when you open a carton of mushrooms. The sediment is beginning to show significantly as we enter the second half of the bottle.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

+ 4 hours

No great change...And Gone! Was a pleasant nightcap. Not a star, and I never could grasp that fruit. I'd rate it as an 86/100.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Terra Feita is another Taylor's quinta that frequently has a SQVP in off years. I have two from 1988 which I bought instead of Vargellas 1987 at only £2 more each. I always thought that I'd bought the Vargellas and was extremely disappointed when I reorganised my cellar (behind the bed) when we moved. Still haven't got around to opening either of them.
My friend suggests its more like when you open a carton of mushrooms.
Mmmmm... could have been corked. Mushroomy, fungal, damp or wet dog smells tend to suggest corking. Not necessarily based on somebody else's descriptors but possible. A lack of fruit flavours would back this up, but you say it is fruity, so maybe not.

Good TN though, Alan.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Alex,

Thinking about it, I cant rule out that it was corked. I've mentioned before that I cant taste corked Port. And although it was fruity, it was different fruits. More like dates and figs rather than the classic sweet plums and cherries. When I think how I thought that Offleys 63 tasted dry, flat and watery, not great, but ok, and yet it was undrinkable to the rest of you, maybe you have a point.
But its all gone now and we'll never know. I'm surprised Debs and her brother drank it freely mind, if it was, but stranger things have happened.
Suppose I'll have to wait for someone else, like yourself to try one. If its completely different, we'll probably know then.

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I presume this is a SQ in a NV year, even though it says Vintage Port clearly on the bottle
1996 was not a NV year, but a year that was not 'generally declared'

Thus the major blends did not produce a wine, but the quinta's that had a good year did.

Just because it was made in an interim year or from a single quinta doesn't diminish it's legitimacy as a vintage port.

With so many independant quintas now producing good wines in most years, the concept of 'declared years' is beginning to look a bit anachronistic..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Changed the title to meet the rules. I'm currently hacking a spreadsheet together.