NV Krohn Embaixador

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

NV Krohn Embaixador

Post by Portman »

This ruby port was given to me in Portugal last year and I hauled it back here to the States. I've never heard of it before or since.

I guess this is a crusted port though the word does not appear anywhere on the label. There is a light to medium amount of sediment. The color is full ruby, with bricking at the edges. The nose is more tawny than ruby, with a lot of wood and medicinal notes. Tastes of red fruit with a lot of woody, nutty, earthy tones. The tannins are gripping and still primary. Perfectly drinkable, but not special.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Krohn "Embaixador" NV

Post by JacobH »

Portman wrote:medicinal note
I often find this to be a problem with rubies; I'm not quite sure why removing this (and the spirit often present on first tasting) has proved to be so difficult.

It's also somewhat reassuring to know that giving rubies silly names is not just an English phenomenon!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Krohn "Embaixador" NV

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Can you post pictures of the front and back labels? I'm curious to see more as this is a port I have never heard of before.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Re: NV Krohn "Embaixador"

Post by Portman »

Sorry I tossed the bottle over the weekend. It was a brown bottle with white writing and a more antique bottle shape with a long neck and fat, squat barrel.