1994 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

1994 Martinez

Post by Overtired and emotional »

My only acquaintance with this shipper has been through the Forum. However, this month, I have had a very pleasant introduction.

My club in Manchester does not have an extensive cellar, but a recent purchase of this vintage is now on offer and at a very advantageous price.

It is undoubtedly very young, and will improve, but is showing very well. The first glass last week, only a couple of hours decanted, was overpoweringly sweet, almost jammy. A couple of days later in a fresh bottle, and with 24 hours decanting, the structure showed through, supported by a now more balanced fruit. It is a serious wine and has shown well again.

It should not be drunk now, but the temptation is hard to resist.
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1994 Martinez

Post by Conky »

When Martinez is at it's height, it is light coloured and fragrant, as opposed to fruity and dark. It often takes a little longer to show, than others. Earlier, it willl be hot and alcoholic. The phrase 'jammy' also makes me think it is still a little young and brutal.

Of course I'd only be sure with an invite and several glasses! :lol:

A lovely thought, but probably like yourself, far too busy.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I do like the '94 Martinez. I think it's a lovely port to drink now and one which will be better in 10 years.

Lucky to have a club which buys that well!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I had the Martinez 1994 with Stevie Cage and bman whilst England were in the process of winning the Edgbaston Test against the Aussies, so nearly four years ago. The conclusion was that it was a lovely glass of Port but very young, however not so young that we couldn't drink lots of it there and then along with about four other bottles of stuff and some Croft 1945 grit.

Consensus opinion: Classy club.
Port is basically a red drink