2000 Quinta do Noval Silval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

2000 Quinta do Noval Silval VP

Post by ajfeather »

Just popped, out of storage in a UK ambient bonded warehouse.

T0: Rich colour, quite "thick" looking (in the way port sometimes looks a little thick), slightly orange on the rim when swirled in the glass. Spirity nose subsides over 5-10 mins and red fruits start to dominate. Oak and tannins dominate on the palate, fruit is there but quite hidden. Reasonably long T+1-2mins, alcohol kicks in quite quickly and then fades away slowly. Dry tickly finish. Quite young judging by the puckering tannins. Content given what I paid for it as a cellar defender.

I will try and remember to note some more in a few hours time.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Re: 2000 Quinta do Noval Silval VP

Post by ajfeather »

T+3: I like the crimson colour, a little less spirity on the nose and quite a lot less spirity in the mouth than when popped. Fruit and spice now starting to be dominate in the finish. I like it but I suspect it will be a lot more balanced in the future.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

T+24 A lot less spirity now, spicy pallate with a dollop of oak. Lengthening finish.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

I some of this too. I hope it comes together in time.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

I don't have enough experience to tell if it will come together in time and really "sing". I get the impression it is young off the bat and even after 24 hours it is not what I would call balanced. It was cheap enough that I am not disappointed but it could be better.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

T+72 had the last glass today and it was the most settled, not epic but not bad either. Give it a while if you pop one!
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

Had a little from another bottle that was much more settled. A nice drink, very rich fruit and the spirity edge has almost gone.