2007 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2007 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A single tasting opportunity at the London presentation of 2007 vintage ports presented by the Symingtons, Taylor Fladgate and Noval.

30% Susao, 30% Tinta Franca and the balance of Touriga Nacional. Interestingly, the Touriga Nacional was picked and vinified nearly a month before the Susao and Tinta Franca, which were fermented together before being blended in with the Touriga Nacional. This cuvee is a super selection of the grapes at Vesuvio and is intended to be a long term keeper. Only 250 cases were produced. Intense colour, deeply purple and totally opaque. Closed on the nose with little showing. Big and tannic in the mouth, raw but showing all the elements for huge potential. Masses of fruit but tannins that just won't let go. The aftertaste is fairly low key, but is very long and tasty. Not a port for the faint hearted and one which will take several decades to reveal its true self. 90-92. 6/5/09.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2007 Vesuvio Capela vintage port

Post by jdaw1 »

Is the score as-of-now, or a forecast for at-best?

Was there any indication of what proportion of the US sub-prime mortgage market would be required to purchase a case?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Was there any indication of what proportion of the US sub-prime mortgage market would be required to purchase a case?
I heard a rumour that one bottle would cost the same price as 57 trailor park luxury homes in Oklahoma. At current exchange rates that's around £96.57 per bottle.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Was there any indication of what proportion of the US sub-prime mortgage market would be required to purchase a case?
I heard a rumour that one bottle would cost the same price as 57 trailor park luxury homes in Oklahoma. At current exchange rates that's around £96.57 per bottle.
At first when I read this I thought you meant the price of a 1957 trailer park luxury home, which would have been completely inaccurate. But then I realized that you mean 57 of them sold as a lot, in which case your pricing sounds reasonable.

$140-$150 per bottle doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me for a Port that's aiming at Noval Nacional.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:
At first when I read this I thought you meant the price of a 1957 trailer park luxury home, which would have been completely inaccurate. But then I realized that you mean 57 of them sold as a lot, in which case your pricing sounds reasonable.

$140-$150 per bottle doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me for a Port that's aiming at Noval Nacional.
The £96.57 was a figment of my imagination. Completely made up with absolutely no knowledge or basis of fact. If this stuff comes out at anywhere near that price I'm starting to do the Lottery :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I liked it better than Alex, but I know he generally scores on the conservative side too. So I do hope it was a conservative estimate :wink:

Btw, were those trailers a double or triple wide? That makes makes a huge difference :twisted:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy: how great was it?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:Andy: how great was it?
Granted I only did a snap shot of this, but it held it's own to other top houses. Not sure it would be worthy of 2-3 times the price, but this is the first vintage of it and like I mentioned...my taste was only a brief impression.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Also curious: how was the bottle different or similar looking to the regular Vesuvio?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The bottle was identical to the standard Vesuvio bottle, but with a slightly different label.

My score of 90-92 was my impression of where it will be when mature, but this was just a snapshot view of a really tannic wine so damned difficult to judge where it will be. It's more than possible that I was overly critical of the balance and structure.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.