NV Fonseca Tawny 10YO (bottled 1979)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Fonseca Tawny 10YO (bottled 1979)

Post by JacobH »

JacobH, in the [url=http://theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2823]wrong place[/url] wrote:I had a couple of friends over for dinner last night and opened a bottle of this and a Warre ’83.

On decanting, a small amount of very fine sediment was produced. I tried a little and was immediately gripped by its complexity but it was a little too spirity to enjoy. Thankfully, this was on Thursday night and when we got around to drinking it yesterday (roughly 24 hours in the decanter), the spirit had properly integrated.

I didn’t take any notes, but I remember being extremely impressed. The distinctive nose and ‟back-of-the-mouth” sensation of a tawny was still there but it was counteracted by a lovely mellow sensation, as one might expect from a 30-year-old VP. A very different experience to Alex and Ben.

I wonder if there’s going to be a bit of bottle-variation with these. I think that the one I opened was much darker than the descriptions given here and from the one which DRT opened. It also tasted much more alive than the descriptions given here and by Derek so I must have been quite lucky. It will be interesting to see what the other bottles are like!