2007 Quinta do Noval Silval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2007 Quinta do Noval Silval

Post by JacobH »

Consumed on 20 May 2009 at The Crusted Pipe in a "bring a bottle to share" and 2007 Horizontal offline.

One of 5 samples of the 2007 Vintage tasted in the mini-offline. The tasting was carried out "double blind" (unusually in the scientific sense, as the test administrator, AHB, did not know what he was administrating to us). Hopefully Derek still has the key of which letters was allocated to which shipper :).

The original title of this thread is/was 2007 "C" Vintage Port. Once the shipper is disclosed, it will be renamed.

C was the most interesting of the Ports. Not the best to drink on the night, nor the dark tannic monster that one would expect a very young Vintage Port to be. One the nose the was tobacco and a certain spicyness. This was followed up, in the mouth, by more complex flavours including a fair bit of rhubarb. Slightly less tannic than D, it was an interesting Port which I look forward to revisiting when it is more mature.
Last edited by JacobH on 09:42 Mon 01 Jun 2009, edited 1 time in total.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2007 "C" Vintage Port

Post by g-man »

niepoort, that rhubarb is certainly throwing me off tho but I Can kinda see it with the niepoort.

or quite possibly like Glenn's Kopke.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
DrDirk
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by DrDirk »

Another portion which I can enjoy with WS1 on my balcony from a very small bottle.

The taste is even better. I like this stuff. Warre? Long aftertaste.

Dirk
Blue Stilton and Port - what else!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Nose: Good but rather mono-dimensional

Colour: Dark, but not impressively so

Palate: Good to a point, some distinctive traits

Conclusion: If this is Vesuvio, then they have done better

Best guess: Vesuvio, but I hope I'm wrong

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Amongst the darkest red in colour terms of the 5 ports. On the nose I noted strawberries and to tase, rhubarb, wich was a general theme I noticed amongst all 5 samples. Very tannic and fruitty generallt. I wrote "drinkable now" and that I would buy this.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

This was one of the two samples which I took home after the tasting. Unfortunately, I haven’t managed to try it until now; though it was well-sealed in one of Julian’s sample bottles. Apologies for not being able to properly fulfil the tasting requirements!

144+, this has mellowed a touch compared to last week. The nose is still very interesting; I still get quite a bit of tobacco. It’s a bit more explicitly grapy on the nose than I remember from the first tasting. In the mouth, I notice how soft, particularly in terms of the tannins, it is compared to the 2007s I tried in Oporto. There’s also a bit more acid, perhaps a slight touch of orange; with the tobacco still being there on the edge of the mouth. Not one of the huge 2007s, like the Cockburn or ‟D”, but perhaps a bit bigger than some of the other samples.

I’m really not sure what this could be. The acidity interests me, it was one of the things we talked about at Niepoort; whether it could compensate for a lack of tannins. (Not that I think this is Niepoort).
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2007 Quinta do Noval Silval (formally "C") Vintage Port

Post by JacobH »

As far as I can tell, this is the cheapest of the 2007s on the market. I think I might drop into Uncorked on my way home to place an order :)
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

If I understand correctly, the Silval is intended as a younger drinking port? That being the case, my notes seem to make sense! I have previously avoided Silval but may now try some.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

with regards to sample C I liked most of this port that it became better with time

rubarb Fruit, not really great, a bit short. Over the next couple of days this got a bit better, developed loads of Chassis aromas and also quite a nice length. Still more a wine than a Port though
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain