1952 Dalva Golden White Colheita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1952 Dalva Golden White Colheita

Post by JacobH »

Drunk at Vinologia in Oporto, May 2009,

I believe DRT led me to expect this Port to be green... (Un)fortunately, it was not but rather a clear dark gold!

The nose was slightly disappointing, with a slight sensation of surgical spirit. Thankfully, once in the mouth, it considerably improved and I can now see why Dalva White Colheitas are so prized. As with the Quinta de Santa Eufémia "tawny" whites, this had very little fruit but this was more than compensated by a luscious sweetness. I suppose Dalva must be aging sweeter whites (perhaps a Lagrima rather than a standard dry). There was still a touch of tannins left, giving it body and this, combined with a bit of spice, reminded me far more of "mainstream" ports than any of the other whites I drank with it.
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Re: 1952 Dalva White Colheita

Post by morteno »

I'm planning to share this one with some friends in a week er two. Is decanting needed, and if so for how long? Thanks.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I'd say no, decanting is not necessary.

I've never had my own bottle of it, but like Jacob had it at Vinologia. My impression from it there is that an hour's decant will help it loosen up out of the bottle, but anything beyond that probably won't have much of an effect.
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

As I imagine he's had the chance to try this more than anyone else around here, perhaps Gonçalo might have some experience as to how this develops?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:Drunk at Vinologia in Oporto, May 2009,

I believe DRT led me to expect this Port to be green... (Un)fortunately, it was not but rather a clear dark gold!
I believe I told you it was brown, not white. Green? The only green port I have tasted is Ferriera 1830. 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn