2007 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2007 Niepoort

Post by JacobH »

Consumed on 20 May 2009 at The Crusted Pipe in a "bring a bottle to share" and 2007 Horizontal offline.

One of 5 samples of the 2007 Vintage tasted in the mini-offline. The tasting was carried out "double blind" (unusually in the scientific sense, as the test administrator, AHB, did not know what he was administrating to us). Hopefully Derek still has the key of which letters was allocated to which shipper :).

The original title of this thread is/was 2007 "D" Vintage Port. Once the shipper is disclosed, it will be renamed.

D was the most archetypal of the samples tasted. A huge grip of tannins coupled with a surprising dryness. I wrote "nice but unexciting". Typing now, I'm not sure if that was necessarily a bad thing; perhaps this one will survive for longer than the others?
Last edited by JacobH on 09:45 Mon 01 Jun 2009, edited 1 time in total.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2007 "D" Vintage Port

Post by g-man »

mmm mayhaps this one is the taylor VVV or the Vesuvio Capaella
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Nose: Not over-whelming, but very fine.

Colour: Dark, but no more than one might expect from a young VP

Palate: Dour, restrained, what I expect of a sound VP at this age

Conclusion: The only wine to give me confidence for the long haul.

Best guess: Dow, possibly Graham

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

uncle tom wrote: Best guess: Dow, possibly Graham

Tom
Shouldn't those be miles apart in level of sweetness?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Shouldn't those be miles apart in level of sweetness?
Although Dow tends to be billed as a drier style, and Graham sweeter, I believe that the actual difference in sugar levels is normally very small.

The characteristic signatures of the wines that I identify are a dour austere nature to Dow, and a rich, cooked dry fruit nature to Graham. However, some Dow's are a little like Graham, and vice versa..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Belatedly, my notes on the various samples. "D" was my favourite of the night and the one I felt (with my complete lack of experience!) was most likely to be a long term wine. Very dark, inky red with lots of pepper on the nose. Extremely tannic, but lots of red fruit evident. I wrote "buy" next to this!

I also had a large sample of this which I tasted over the following few nights and noticed some mellowing of the spice. It remained very enjoyable at +5 days.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2007 Niepoort (formally "D") Vintage Port

Post by JacobH »

This was my second experience with the Niepoort 2007, which I've now drunk three times and each time from a fresh bottle. However, in a damning indictment of my palate and memory, I don't think I would have ever guessed what this was. Or I can just claim that I'm never very good at tasting things at off-lines! :)
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

- Wow!

This was nothing like that first Niepoort sample, which was more like a lagar sample than a fully fledged port..

..they didn't accidentally send us a sample of the 2008 the first time, did they??

Tom
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

with regards to sample D I liked the wine but was not really impressed as others were at the May offline. Overall I wrote not a lot about this wine which indicates to me that it just did not tickle my fancy :(

dark coulour, good Palate, but not great
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain