1963 Borges

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1963 Borges

Post by uncle tom »

One of small stash of originally anonymous bottles secured by Julian, and very kindly given to me last year.

English bottled, generic foil capsule of a design often used by the smaller bottlers.

Pure brown when decanted, no red visible at all. Seemed very viscous, and took a long time to pass through my decanting funnel.

Curiously, when I poured a glass a few hours later, some red colouration had evolved. Drunk over a couple of days with little subsequent evolution.

Much more akin to a 20yr tawny than a vintage port, and a very agreeable sweet quaff. Reading the notes made of the first bottle opened, It would seem that this was a much better bottle.

Not a superstar though, but with a high sugar concentration to preserve it, not at death's door either.

- Thanks Julian!

Score 5-4

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Borges 1963

Post by KillerB »

The bottle that we had at the Crusting Pipe with Tsunami was rank. Suspicion at the time was that it had been poorly, with a couple of veries, kept. This sounds much better.
Port is basically a red drink