1987 Graham Malvedos

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1987 Graham's Malvedos SQVP

Post by JacobH »

Consumed on 20 May 2009 at The Crusted Pipe in a "bring a bottle to share" and 2007 Horizontal offline.

One of many beasts drunk that night, this was still extremely dark and tannic. Probably a bit too dark and tannic to be drunk now; I hope Ben resists the temptation and leaves his remaining bottles for at least another 10 years! I haven't ever paid much attention to Malvedos; this is obviously a mistake :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1987 Graham's Malvedos SQVP

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deeply coloured red, showing no magenta or violet of babyhood. Closed on the nose with not much coming out of the glass other than small levels of fruit. Sweet impact in the mouth with a woody hint at the core and plenty of tannins still in the wine. Very sweet, but plenty of fruit, very well developed. Warm aftertaste, sweet and pleasant but quite long tasting. Very enjoyable. Shown blind, I guessed this to be Madalena 1987. 89/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Derek, Conky and I had this a couple of years ago from a half. It took a little time to open up but when it did it nearly stole the show from the Fonseca 1970. OK, not quite but it was excellent. If this was a full bottle it might explain the extra aing required.
Port is basically a red drink
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

I did not take any notes on this having known its identity! Again, I was very pleased with the way this showed and am happy to have 4 more bottles of this. WS1 is on the hunt for some more and I shall gladly acquire a case given the chance!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!