NV Quinta de Santa Eufemia White 30YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Quinta de Santa Eufemia White 30YO

Post by JacobH »

NV Quinta de Santa Eufémia 30 Year Old White
Drunk at Vinologia in Oporto, May 2009,

Bottled in an attractive 50cl clear bottle. In a nice touch, the 10-year-old has bronze metalic printing, the 20-year-old silver and the 30-year-old gold. In a nicer touch, the label also has braille!

The second oldest white to come out of the Santa Eufémia estates [sic; there are two]; the oldest being a 1972 Colheita euphemistically called "Very Old Reserve" to get around the IVDP! A dark golden caramel in colour, this was more muted on the nose than its younger brethern, with the characteristic almonds and peanuts not showing to any great degree. In the mouth, again this is quite muted compared to what I would usually expect from a Port. I think this is mostly due to them aging a fairly dry wine; the aftertaste doesn't open up into the residual sugar which you would usually expect. The unfortunate consiquence of that is that quite a lot of alcohol comes through. However, the aftertaste is long, smooth and creamy which appeals to me.

This is certainly a good wine and worth trying if you get the chance. However, I think it is a mistake to approach it as if it were a normal tawny, or even in the same family as the Dalva White Colheitas as the dryness makes this a very different drink.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: NV Quinta de Santa Eufémia 30 Year Old White

Post by Glenn E. »

Sounds like a fun tasting!

I've never seen any of the Quinta de Santa Eufémia Ports... the only ones I've seen are the other half, Casa de Santa Eufémia.

Did someone at Vinologia tell you that the Very Old Special Reserve was a 1972 Colheita? I've been told that it is a 1973, and I have a bottle of it in my cellar.
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote:I've never seen any of the Quinta de Santa Eufémia Ports... the only ones I've seen are the other half, Casa de Santa Eufémia.

Did someone at Vinologia tell you that the Very Old Special Reserve was a 1972 Colheita? I've been told that it is a 1973, and I have a bottle of it in my cellar.
I believe I am right in saying (based on one of their websites) that the Santa Eufémia estate was split in two quite recently (possibly to go to two separate branches of the family) which is why there's a Casa and a Quinta (both producing very similar things). As for the age of the Colheita, I'm not really sure. I had thought it was 72 and Vinologia showed me a certificate which they got with their stock which I thought said 72. The also said that they gave their last bottle to a member of staff as a leaving present who, I think, they said was born in 72. However, the Casa de Santa Eufémia website says 73 so I really have no idea! Perhaps drop them a line to ask?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Jacob’s MUA wrote:Subject: Topic reply notification - "NV Quinta de Santa Eufémia 30 Year Old White"
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 21:06:36 +0100
Reply-To: <admin@:tpf:.com>
Sender: <admin@:tpf:.com>
X-Mailer: PhpBB3

Hello JacobH,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic, "NV Quinta de Santa Eufémia 30 Year Old White" at "ThePortForum.com". This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.
**ponders what the deleted post said**
goncalo devesas
Cheap Ruby

Post by goncalo devesas »

About Casa de Santa Eufemia and Quinta de Santa Eufemia, when they start the division, they also share the old ports, so from what I heard from the enolog , she said to me that they only had the port from 1972, so I don´t know if Casa de Santa Eufemia had one from 1973. But I´m shore about Santa Eufemia´s information.
Port is the tasting of knowledge and making friends.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes, this is correct
Casa de Santa Eufemia had one from 1973

I don't know about Quinta Santa E. and their version, although I've had both and think the Casa de S.E. is the better of the two.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Andy V wrote:Yes, this is correct
Casa de Santa Eufemia had one from 1973

I don't know about Quinta Santa E. and their version, although I've had both and think the Casa de S.E. is the better of the two.
Do you know how much old white is lying around in Sanata Eufémia? I’d assumed that the colheitas had come from the same pipe that had just been split in two when they split the estate!