2001 Borges LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

2001 Borges LBV

Post by morteno »

No decanting. It's subtle and smooth and doesn't really point in any particular direction with alcohol being the only thing standing out. I prefer LBVs to be powerful, an explosion in the mouth, full of fruits. This one isn't but it actually isn't too bad and not too good either. It's not overly sweet and boring like Graham's LBVs, though. Sweet but not too sweet. Pleasant is probably the best single word that describes it.

A bit of alcohol on the nose, likewise in the mouth. My girlfriend says it doesn't have the power to subdue the alcohol. I think she's right. Add to that that it doesn't really go that well with chocolate and we don't have a winner!

I may be slightly biased as I prefer younger and fruitier LBVs. But I could easily drink a whole bottle of this anyway (maybe because I haven't had port for a while?!) :nirvana: :D
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2001 Borges LBV

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Interesting - I don't think that I've ever seen an LBV from Borges before. Thanks for the note.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Re: 2001 Borges LBV

Post by morteno »

It's unfiltered by the way and already showing significant sediment. Pricing is in the upper segment.

I'm just finishing the bottle now and it's not too bad, although the alcohol is still burning tongue and throat a bit.

Would I buy it again? No. Would I drink it again? Yes.