1970 Kopke

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Kopke

Post by uncle tom »

A wine I last sampled in 2006. The last bottle was a little disappointing (it may have had a minor leakage issue, IIRC..) so I wasn't expecting great wonders from this one.

Decanted on Thursday and casually quaffed - was approachable fairly soon after decanting; with no great evolution since.

A pleasant surprise - this is a really good wine. Exceptionally dark, and barely mature; with a distinct note of coffee, both on nose and palate.

Very nice to drink now, and a wine that will go on and on - score 9-9

Note: This wine is not that uncommon on the auction circuit, and the bottles usually look a bit rough. My guess is that they were labelled at the time they were bottled, were then bin stored in VNG, and were not re-labelled when they were shipped. This makes them potentially very good value.. :wink:

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill