1983 Smith Woodhouse

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

1983 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

Post by SushiNorth »

+2 beautiful, clear garnet red color. Spirity nose, with lots of cherries. In the mouth, pruney with some anise, lots of heat, and tannins. Long finish.
+6 improving, there's a period where the spirits fade enough to really enjoy the wine, but there's a ton of grip to it too. It's very young. I find some chocolate in it. 91

Letting it sit in the glass certainly helps, and I think +6 to +8 is about right for it. However, the strong spirits are not relenting, and there's a bitterness that shows up after a long time in the glass.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1983 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

Post by Axel P »

Thanks, Glenn, just got an offer for elder super seconds from the Symintons.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I dont' have any formal notes but I thought this was very good as the night went on when the spirits started to subside
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Just over a year later, I've opened another bottle from the same batch; it had a slightly more vegetal nose and flavor to it. We didn't drink it until 9-10 hrs after decant, at which time I found it was more bitter and still too spirity. My recommendation for this wine is Drink Now, Decant +6-7 max, and encourage folks to let it sit in their glass for 15-30 mins (which may just mean, pour in advance of serving the glasses).
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope