1977 Guedes

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

1977 Guedes Vintage Port

Post by SushiNorth »

Guedes (aka Royal) 1977, sourced from WineCommune after being spotted by g-man. Leaking slightly.
Brought by SushiNorth to the NYC 1977 take-2 tasting at Smith's. Garrotted on the first try, decanted for 1 hr before put in a bottle and brought to tasting.

My notes:
+0 Disaster? light brown, tawny color. Cream sherry nose. Totally madeirized? Caramel, smoke, and lots of sweetness. Too much heat makes tasting rough.

+2.5 - +5 (Tasting) Where'd this red come from? It's tan, but some dusky red has snuck in. There's a hint of mint in the hot nose, but it's a bit fainter. Sean calls "tarragon" in the nose, and I'd agree it smells a bit herby. It's metalic, with no fruit. Totally falling apart, no balance, just a flavor here and a flavor there.

(brought home, air pumped out, refrigerated)
(brought back up toward room temp)
+45 Hey! This is drinkable. Still not "port" but at this moment it is melded, round in the mouth, unctuous but enjoyable. Caramel and smoke, and even a little cherry.
+52 Annnnd... it's gone again. oh well, back to being rough and metallic.

Assuming a bad bottle, but perhaps just an over the hill. "Shoulda been drunk 10 years ago" was the common refrain.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1977 Guedes Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

SushiNorth wrote:Assuming a bad bottle
You have a very positive mindset. :wink:
Don't say I didn't warn you!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Guedes: yuck. Very pale translucent brown. Madeirised nose. ’Orrible. One brave taster suggested ‟balsamic pineapple and tarragon”, though the tarragon was beyond my reach.

Cooking only.