1991 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1991 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by JacobH »

This is still a deep red, but not entirely opaque.

1+ On the nose, there’s a little bit of spirit concealing a small amount of dark fruit-cake and raisins. In the mouth, although still young is approachable and well-balanced; with layers of different flavours rushing through. The initial one is dominated by a quite a bit of sweetness; tending towards (though not quite reaching) a strawberry boiled sweet. There’s still a bit of acidity which comes through along with a surprising amount of bitterness. The aftertaste is long and elegant. Great stuff.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: 1991 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by Alex M »

Is this in the 1/2 bottle format? I've tried to find a 750ml bottle but yet to no avail. Do you think there is life in this port for a few more decades?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Alex M wrote:Is this in the 1/2 bottle format? I've tried to find a 750ml bottle but yet to no avail. Do you think there is life in this port for a few more decades?
Yes, it is. I've been trying to build up my collection of halves as it's a size which I can happily drink without the bottle going off. I don't think this is beginning to approach full maturity, so yes, I can certainly see it improving (especially in a full bottle which, I think, tends to mature more slowly).
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Thanks, Jacob, in the past the Fonseca was very much up to the height of its brother from Vargellas, which I acutally would prefer a bit, although both are superb wines and stil a bargain if you compare them to the 92s.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Axel P wrote:Thanks, Jacob, in the past the Fonseca was very much up to the height of its brother from Vargellas, which I acutally would prefer a bit, although both are superb wines and stil a bargain if you compare them to the 92s.
Interesting that you say that. This is much more drinkable than the Vargellas ’91 which we had at the Vargellas vertical (also, if I remember correctly, from a half-bottle) but I think that can be put down to the Vargellas being rather closed down. I’d be interested to hear where you can buy this at a bargain price; these were a reasonably expensive purchase!

Tonight, so 24+ hours, it is developing quite nicely. There’s now enough racio in there to remind me a bit of the Fonseca ’48 we tried at Alex’s last week (though by no means enough for me to identify any Fonseca blind!). Its complexity is still very obvious with many layers present through all parts of the palate. Still very easy to drink: a lovely bottle of wine.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I just bought some cases of the Vargellas in the Netherlands at saint-vincent.nl. Reg bottles for 38 and Magnums for 82 EUR without Tax and Transport. Gerard, the owner is a very nice guy, but the offer he has online, is not accurate. So better call him for this.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Axel P wrote:I just bought some cases of the Vargellas in the Netherlands at saint-vincent.nl. Reg bottles for 38 and Magnums for 82 EUR without Tax and Transport. Gerard, the owner is a very nice guy, but the offer he has online, is not accurate. So better call him for this.
Assuming a "normal" exchange rate of €1=$1.50, then that would be a fair price. Unfortunately, with the current rate of €1=£1.15 we're still losing out badly!