NV Krohn White (Dry White)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

NV Krohn White (Dry White)

Post by uncle tom »

This my only bottle from Krohn, secured two years ago as part of a mixed lot. No bottling date on the bottle, but other NV ports in the same lot (which appeared to have been bottled for the French market) were bottled in 2004 & 2005.

Slightly tiresome squat bottle that was just too fat to go in a rack.

Refrigerated, and drunk neat from the bottle.

Dark straw colour in the glass with a nose that immediately reminds you of the smell of the VNG lodges, but with none of the bad notes on the nose that cheap whites often have. Not unlike a dry sherry on the palate.

Quite an acceptable quaff for a summer's evening - enjoyable.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: NV Krohn dry white

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote: Quite an acceptable quaff for a summer's evening - enjoyable.

Tom
Yes, I agree Tom. Most people dismiss these as being cheap and sub-standard for Port. But they fulfill their role perfectly in the right setting. I happen to like the Niepoort Dry White, well chilled, on a warm summer day. A glass or two seems to really hit the spot when I'm in the mood, but don't feel like opening a VP or Colheita.