1980 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1980 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

Graham’s 1980: some 2ish years ago I gave this bottle to my wife’s mother, who yesterday produced it from her cave and suggested that we have it tonight. Fine plan I’m in the mood for some port.

Still primarily red maybe I could imagine a hint of brown at the edge. Decanted 14:30, nosing strongly of berry fruit. The taste, at D+0h, dominated by astringency, but plenty of fruit behind that. Bodes well.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1980 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

Later, colour unchanged and suggesting that more cellar time might work. The food left me uncertain of the nose, but tasting of big berry fruit and big sweetness, nicely mouthfilling, with some heat early in the palate. One of Graham’s simpler creations, but fine drinking port which succeeded in persuading one of the Frenchies present that port can be good.

Very satisfactory indeed except the quantity. If only the Symingtons would stop this meanness and put ≥1L in their 750ml bottles. (Sighs loudly.)