Gilbert's 1937 vintage

Anything to do with Port.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Gilbert's 1937 vintage

Post by smisse »

Hello All,

A while ago I bought a bottle of Gilbert's from the 1937 vintage. At least ... this is what I hope it is.
I've searched the internet several times, contacted Gilberts yet did not find/receive any confirmation that Gilbert's did have a 1937 vintage.
Is there anyone on :tpf: that can advise if Gilbert's did have a 1937 vintage and if (based on the picture) mine looks plausible?
Since this was my first "serious" old vintage I bought, I really hope it does not turn out to be a fraud!
Thanks in advance,
Dries
P6246318.JPG
P6246318.JPG (226.95 KiB) Viewed 8675 times
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Gilbert's 1937 vintage

Post by DRT »

Dries,

JDAW and I are in the process of compiling a list of all known vintage ports produced since the begining of time and after much extensive research I am sorry to report that the oldest Gilberts vintage we have found is 1985.

From the shape of the bottle and condition of the label I wonder if this bottle is actually a Colheita rather than a Vintage Port. Does it have a back label? If it does, could you please add another photo or tell us what it says?

Thanks
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

The back lable contains a description of port in English & German + " Imported by Godard GMBH Hamburg11"

The only reference towards Godard that I can find is on a Madeira site : http://www.cyberroach.com/madeira_v300/ ... and_co.htm

Does the IVP not have a list with all known shippers/exporters and vintages?
P6246319.JPG
P6246319.JPG (233.5 KiB) Viewed 8639 times
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

1937 was not a widely declared vintage. Many shippers chose not to bottle these wines 2-3 years after the vintage because of the state of the world ecenomy and the problems of World War 2. However, the wines were of very good quality and 1937 has developed a reputation as one of the best years for colheita ports. Whatever you have, it should be extremely tasty!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The label looks nothing like any pre-war bottling I have seen before, and my attention is drawn to the nib in the glass at the bottom of the bottle.

I can't claim to be an expert on the mechanics of automatic bottling lines, but I believe these nibs or indents are used to orientate the bottle, and ensure that a back label is exactly opposite the front label.

It is very possible that German bottling lines were years ahead, technically, of those in Portugal and the UK; but I cannot recall seeing this feature on a bottle that pre-dates the mid 1970's.

I would agree that this is almost certainly a Colheita; wine from a single vintage, that has probably spent most of its life in wood before it was shipped in bulk to Germany and bottled (there is no IVP strip). The use of the word 'vintage' on the label is, I suspect, misleading.

Although the bulk shipment of vintage port ended in the early 70's, other ports continued to be shipped in bulk for overseas bottling for several years after - I'm trying to remember what year that came to an end??

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

It must indeed be a colheita and probably bottled between 1950 and early 60's
The importer "Godard GmbH" was taken over by Bols in 1961.
http://www.uhle1751.de/geschichte.php5
Anyway, sooner or later I will open it and make a nice review 88)
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The importer "Godard GmbH" was taken over by Bols in 1961.
In the wine trade, the takeover of one company by another, rarely results in the immediate disappearance of one of the names.

Although there is no sign of Godard trading today, it is quite likely that Bols would have continued to use the name, while interest in Godard product remained.

It is quite possible that the end of bulk shipments of port and madeira signalled the end of Godard as a trading name.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Although the bulk shipment of vintage port ended in the early 70's, other ports continued to be shipped in bulk for overseas bottling for several years after - I'm trying to remember what year that came to an end??
1974 from what I remember.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

1974 from what I remember.
I thought it was later than that..

Yesterday I picked up an auction job lot of eight bottles, all of which appeared to have been bought from retail outlets around 1988 - 1992. Included were two bottles of Elvino's vintage character port - clearly bottled in the UK, with no guarantee strips, but not dated. They are also the cleanest bottles in the stash.

I would be very surprised if these are 35 years old..

Tom
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:
They are also the cleanest bottles in the stash.

I would be very surprised if these are 35 years old..

Tom

I have always wondered, those with actual cellars, if you get bored, do you take a feather duster down to the cellar and clean it up?

Especially if you're going to take stock of inventory?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I have always wondered, those with actual cellars, if you get bored, do you take a feather duster down to the cellar and clean it up?
I have a lady who Does (when she turns up.. :roll: ) but she doesn't Do the cellar..

Feather dusters? - you are talking to someone who has never owned, let alone used, an iron..

..horses for courses, dear boy..!

Tom
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Is it only me who thinks it is a Labelling crease, and it is a 1987 ?

That would fit the style and relative newness of Gilberts. There current site, http://www.gilberts.pt/g_en.htm
doesn't give up much information, but are these the contact details you tried.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Conky wrote:Is it only me who thinks it is a Labelling crease, and it is a 1987 ?

That would fit the style and relative newness of Gilberts. There current site, http://www.gilberts.pt/g_en.htm
heh, the bottom curve of teh "3", if it was a label crease, it wouldn't cut off abruptly.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:
you are talking to someone who has never owned, let alone used, an iron..

Tom
Golf and port make an excellent combination! You are totally missing out!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I have always thought of golf as being a game played by those who need to worry when they relax..

..I have no such impediment!

Tom
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

g-man wrote:
Conky wrote:Is it only me who thinks it is a Labelling crease, and it is a 1987 ?

heh, the bottom curve of teh "3", if it was a label crease, it wouldn't cut off abruptly.
So because of an unexplained blemish, or random spot, we move back 50 years to a Vintage no one can find any trace of? With the rest of the bottle showing a modern style, and we are apparently aware of vintages in this era.

I'll go with the percentages, but also hope it is the 30's for the owner.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:
I have always thought of golf as being a game played by those who need to worry when they relax..

..I have no such impediment!

Tom

Leave it to the Americans to be competitive while on vacation.

I am happy keeping to the original intention of the game, which i read to be, swinging a metal pole at a ball while intoxicated.