1990 Dow Bomfim

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

1990 Dow Quinta do Bomfim

Post by Portman »

Cork was slightly shrunken and slid out easily. Hugely sedimented; great glops of must at the the bottom of the bottle. The wine was translucent brickish red. It almost looked like a Burgundy in the decanter. Upon opening, it had a reticent nose of cherries, strawberries, a bit of vanilla and chocolate. First taste was a bit like cherry cough syrup, sweeter than usual for Dow. The alcohol is well hidden. Tannins are extremely smooth and soft. A balanced but not particularly complex wine.

At two hours, the nose is more pronounced and the cough syrup taste is gone. Shortly after that, so is the wine. I dont have the discipline that many of you do. Opened port has a short life in my house.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1990 Dow Quinta do Bomfim

Post by DRT »

Portman wrote:I dont have the discipline that many of you do. Opened port has a short life in my house.
Sounds like you have as much discipline as I do :wink: :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:
Portman wrote:I dont have the discipline that many of you do. Opened port has a short life in my house.
when it gets bad, I put my head below the bottle and hope that some seepage may grace my tongue.
That usually helps to keep me from opening the bottle.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote:
DRT wrote:
when it gets bad, I put my head below the bottle and hope that some seepage may grace my tongue.
That usually helps to keep me from opening the bottle.
Oh, hadn't you heard? If you poke a hole in the cork, that counts as a "leaker" which means it should be consumed as soon as possible to avoid potential additional damage. :mrgreen:
Glenn Elliott