1983 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1983 Dow

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The frst bottle opened from a case acquired from Straker Chadwick. Quite light in colour and looking more evolved than expected; plenty of colour left, but very clear in the centre. Am incredibly spicy nose which generated a lot of conversation as to whether this was enjoyable or not (I thought it was); completely dominated by ginger over a lovely sweet redcurrant. In the mouth the texture is quite thi, but full of flavour. Surprisingly little sweetness, but plenty of complexity with many layers and subtleties. The mango chutney flavours perseveres throughout the palate. Big flavour to start the aftertaste, just full of ginger, spice and life. Delicious - but very different from what I expected. 90/100. Dunk on 21 July 2009 after 19 hours decanting.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1983 Dow

Post by DRT »

Light and fully transparent red. Spicy pepper on the nose. Smooth entry of red fruits and very dry in the mid-palate. A warming, long mouthwatering finish. Very nice but, like AHB, not what I expected from a D83.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

It was certainly different, and very pleasant at first encounter, although it seemed to go a little south by the end of the evening.

I do wonder if the mango chutney element was supposed to be there - my hunch is that this bottle had a hint of the 'T45's' - enough to make an interesting difference, but without ruining the bottle.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi there,

I am afraid that I did as longer the evening lasted had a problem with the Ginger taste. In the begining I found the very spicy appearance of this bt quite nice but was overwhelmed by the power and its dominance later. Still not a bad Port despite i still feel there was a n issue with VA on this bt.

regards

Wolfgang
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

We are at D+2 and Mrs Cookie and I are some way through this delightful wine. This is a bottle from the year of our marriage and absolutely captures the way it still is...fruity with an element of spice.88) It has a bit of heat that compliments the smooth fruit filled finish. Mrs Cookie's verdict is...very palatable...I agree this is clearly one that has improved since 2009.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Cookie wrote:I agree this is clearly one that has improved since 2009.
The wine or Mrs Cookie?!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!