1983 Churchill Agua Alta

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1983 Churchill Quinta da Agua Alta

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

1st bottle opened was spoiled.

2nd bottle was very light in colour; easily the most advanced of the wines being drunk that night; orange rather than red. Slightly sherry smelling nose; quite spicy but attractive. Light body, and surprisingly tannic impact given the colour. Pleasantly fruity, but quite simple and straightforward although the acidity shows strongly in the mid-palate. Not offensive, prefectly decent drinking but lacks balance to be great. Big burst of flavour on swallowing and a big aftertaste, very surprising given what goes before. 86/100. Drunk on a pop 'n' pour basis on 21 July 2009.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1983 Churchill Quinta da Agua Alta

Post by DRT »

This was my first encounter with Churchill Agua Alta and I have to say it wasn't a good one.

AHB and I disagree on this one. I would not choose to drink this wine again as I found it quite unpleasant. I took away a small sample which I kept in the fridge until last night. It was even more undrinkable than it was on Tueday night. I strongly suspect, and indeed hope, that the two bottles of this that we tasted are from a severely compromised batch.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I agree this didn't show well, and certainly not a wine that is well cut out for restaurant use.

However, before damning it, I would like to try giving a bottle of this some TLC, decanting it and then leaving it to integrate for a day or so..

..it might be a poor wine - or just too delicate..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi there,

this wine was by far the most disappointing wine of the whole evening. Both bts were just not really something I would hope to get when ordering a Port in a Restaurant. The first one was spoiled and the second one just also problematic. Neither the missing balance or the flakey, diffuse fuit flavours in addition to the quite watery apperance did help. Just a weak bt or Port (still needs to be decided).

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Post by christopherpfaff »

I recently purchased a 12 bottles case of this seldom wine.

Yesterday I opend the first bottle, what was external not in good condition. Capsule was damaged, filling was top shoulder and it seem with signs of seepage.

But the opening was a big surprise. The cork was in good condition and the content too.

The wine developed well, fully mature, more on the lighter sight, but not faulty. But if you set in relation, that this is a 30 year old Single Quinta VP and it was even the second VP of this young Port producer, I was very satisfied with the result. :)
"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
http://www.passion-port.de