NV Quinta do Noval LB

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

NV Quinta do Noval LB

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This was a bottle of unknown age, the only clues to age being the name of the importer (Rutherford Osborne & Perkin of SW1V 4TG, who were dissolved in December 1995), their postcode and the fact that it was a subdivided SW1 code, and the fact that the bottle was a three piece moulded bottle (the two halves of the cylinder plus the base). The cork was a 2/3rds length driven cork branded "Quinta do Noval". There was a surprising amount of fine and sludgy sediment in the bottle which was caught by the filter paper I decanted through.

On decanting, the colour was very pale and very brown but quickly put on colour to become an attractive tawny colour. On the nose, this was subdued, but smelling pleasantly of honey and flower perfume but without much complexity. In the mouth it is pleasant, but light-weight although with a very good and thick texture. The flavours are delicate and simple, showing age and very tawny characteristics - lots of simple sugar water - but there is a good balance of acidity to keep the sweetness in check. Patience does allow the wine to develop a touch of complexity as dates and bitter marmalade show. The aftertaste starts with too much alcohol causing a bit of a burn, but then develops into a long length of dates and brown sugar.

Very tertiary and wholly now a tawny, but still a pleasant drink and one which I will look forward to sipping over the next 2-3 days. 88/100. Drunk on 31 July 2007 after 3 hours decanting.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: NV Noval LB ruby port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Some photos to show the amount of sediment coming from the bottle. Unfortunately, they don't really show the size of the pile of the sludge on the filter paper.

Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Very interesting, Alex. Thank you. Also a picture of the wine was taken? Would like to see the colour of it. BTW: Some years ago I often drank the LB (recent bottlings) and I really liked it. Imo there is only one problem with the better Reserve Rubies. The price is to near to the price of the LBV of the same shipper. LBV generally offers a better QPR. The only exeption I do Know is Graham's Six Grapes. I would allways prefer it to the LBV from Graham.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

As requested, here is a picture of the colour of the wine - very respectable for a 20-30 year old bottle of Noval LB. Interestingly, I think the wine is actually drinking better today than it did on the day it was first opened. There is a lovely spiciness to it today that was not part of the flavours before and it has developed more complexity than earlier. Not world shattering, but very pleasant and one I would be very happy to drink again.

Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Very nice. Thanks again.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port