1966 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

1966 Niepoort VP

Post by StevieCage »

From a bottle that was recorked last year by the store it was bought from, and decanted a few hours before serving.

Extremely light, quite pink upon decanting. It did gain some colour with a bit more air.
Like its colour, almost everything about this VP is light. Delicate nose, with strawberry and fig aromas. The body is a tad glycerolic (as is often the case with VP that is a bit over the hill), and is delicliously plummy. Some chocolate and coffee on the midpalate, which carries over to the long, warm finish, that also has some nutty fruitcase flavours. Nice!

This bottle was for my taste a bit to old, but still very tasty to drink! I gave it 90 points, RonnieRoots 89 and Lady Roots 87. Thank you both for sharing this!
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I understand that Niepoort is always an early drinker, hence the 1977 being a bit lighter than expected. I would have expected the 1966 to be over th hill, so it sounds like it survived quite well really.
Port is basically a red drink
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

You wouldn't say that had you tasted the '63 or '70! :)