1970 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1970 Fonseca

Post by KillerB »

Eventually got there. Dark, brooding but clear as a bell. Strong alcohol with acid nose gave way to dark fruits but couldn't get the standard coffee and flowers I have always got from older Fonseca. In the end though it came good with cherries, caramel, chocolate and nuts - this was made all the more obvious with the chocolates. Still very youthful and one for the future despite being 37 years old already.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

A TN by LadyR from an offline we had with tsunami (and others) in Switzerland, November 2004:
Rustic brown colour, relatively young and closed port. Bit alcoholic, dried red fruit & relatively sweet, silty, leather and bitter tones. Great port, but did not give its full potential.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

My TN from the BBR offline, August 2005:
Somewhat older looking than the Dow's. Dried fruit on the nose (prune and apricot), aniseed and leather. More outspoken in the nose than the Dow's; after a while some more sweet fruit appears. In the mouth it starts very smooth, very soon getting spicy, with some nice velvety fruit and fresh chili pepper. Nice smooth finish. This bottle is dfinitely more aged than the ultra young (and closed!) one we tried at tsunami's last october, but I found it a joy to drink now.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Note from the BBR off-line:
My absolute favourite of the night. Little bit of bricking and lovely legs. Lots of floral notes on the nose and a lively wine. This has turned me on to Fonseca.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

From Crusting Pipe off-line:
Similar colour to the Taylor's. Later the floral nose came out but never the coffee. It was, however, packed with fruit and plenty of other things to make it the best of 1970, just over the Graham's.